CHCYTH401B: Engage Respectfully with Young People
Not sure where to start?
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
To enrol in this unit, you must be accepted into a course from the provider.
Read before you start
Level of study: What does Vocational Education, Training mean?
Vocational Education, Training
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Prerequisites: What are the prerequisites?
Availability: What is a Study period?For enrolment (2012): For forward planning* (2013): What is Forward Planning?
Government loans available:None
- Domestic student fee:
- $463.00 (AUD)
- International student fee:
- $688.00 (AUD)
This unit describes the knowledge and skills required to communicate effectively with young people (aged 12-25) in work roles with a specific focus on young people.
- Audio/Visual equipment — Headset with microphone for online conferencing
- Broadband access
- Other special requirement — National Police Certificate
At the completion of this unit students will be able to:
- communicate effectively with a diversity of young people
- reflect understanding of youth cultures, sub-cultures and development
- work with the young person as the focus.
This unit addresses the following topics.
|1||Listen to the young person to gain understanding of their experiences|
|2||Foster communication exchanges that supports the development of trust and rapport|
|3||Process information about the young persons situation from their perspective|
|4||Use a range of appropriate communication strategies to engage with young people|
|5||Consider cultural sensitivities in communication techniques and adapt style and language to accommodate different cultural values and practices|
|6||Maintain young person's confidentiality in the context that the young person is the primary stakeholder|
|7||Take into account youth culture, sub cultures and development of the young person in all actions and decisions|
|8||Evaluate issues in relation to young person's culture and modify approaches appropriately|
|9||Select activities and resources to promote awareness, respect and value of diversity|
|10||Establish guidelines that are relevant to the culture and background of the young person|
|11||Assess the impact of own cultural values, cultural lens and ethnocentrism in youth work|
|12||Apply youth centred practices when working with young people|
|13||Respect the rights needs and responsibilities of the young person|
|14||Convey worker rights and responsibilities as necessary|
|15||Establish a professional relationship and boundary expectations with the young person|
|16||Recognise, and manage power inequities in the professional relationship|
|17||Apply principles of ethical decision-making in working with young people.|
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Discussion Forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
Print based materials
- Welcome Letter
This unit is an approved elective in the following courses:
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.