Science and Mathematics Education Research Methods
Get your questions answered
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
To enrol in this unit, you must be accepted into a course from the provider.
Read before you start
Level of study: What does Postgraduate mean?
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Prerequisites: What are the prerequisites?
Government loans available:
Domestic student fee:
International student fee:
This unit explores the educational research process in detail. The four modules in this unit cover the characteristics of educational research and different research paradigms used within educational research; the diverse range of research methodologies and methods used to investigate educational settings and the quality standards attached to these methodologies; ethics and the role of the educational researcher in the research process; and a critical self-reflection on how the student's views of educational research have been challenged. This unit assists students to conceptualise a research design and commence planning an independent study.
This unit is a prerequisite for the project units SMEC691 and SMEC692.
- Proposal — Research proposal (30%)
- Reflective Task — Critical self-reflection (10%)
- Report — Ethics report (30%)
- Review — Critical review (30%)
At the completion of this unit students will be able to:
- discriminate the various components of the research process
- evaluate the three major research paradigms in educational research, and explain how they influence the research process
- critically evaluate the characteristics of different research methodologies and research methods, and apply this information to conceptualise a research design
- appraise the ethical obligations, relationships and responsibilities of a researcher during research, and apply this to the researcher's planned research
- critically and creatively reflect upon own learning process and challenges across the unit.
This unit addresses the following topics.
|1||An educational research framework|
|2||Different research methods|
|3||The role of the researcher|
|4||How have I changed?|
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
- Discussion Forum/Discussion Board
- Standard Media
- Web links
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a unit.
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
This unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.