Accounting for Business
Get your questions answered
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
Level of study: What does Undergraduate Level 1 mean?
Undergraduate Level 1
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Prerequisites: What are the prerequisites?
Government loans available:
Domestic student fee:
International student fee:
This unit provides an overview of the field of accounting and the conceptual and practical foundation required to analyse and interpret accounting information in the business environment.
- Assignment 1 (10%)
- Assignment 2 (20%)
- Invigilated Exam (60%)
- Online assessment (10%)
At the completion of this unit students will be able to:
- discuss the role of the accounting profession in business
- identify accounting as an information process for business decision making and describe the workings of the accounting cycle
- explain the accounting equation and the determination of financial position
- discuss the basic accounting concepts, principles and procedures
- analyse and interpret financial accounting information from a management and user perspective.
This unit addresses the following topics.
|1||Introduction to accounting and organisations and the accounting process|
|2||Recording accounting data|
|3||Preparation of financial reports from accounting data - part 1|
|4||Preparation of financial reports from accounting data - part 2|
|5||Accounting for retailing|
|6||Analysis and interpretation of financial reports|
|7||Accounting conceptual framework|
|8||Statement of cash flows|
|9||Management accounting 1 - planning and control through budgeting|
|10||Management accounting 2 - quantitative methods for management decision making|
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
- Discussion Forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Web links
Print based materials
- Study Guide
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
Textbook information for this unit is currently being updated and will be available soon. Please check back regularly for updates. Alternatively, visit the Unibooks website and enter the unit details to search for available textbooks.
This unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
- Bachelor of Business Studies, Monash University
- Bachelor of Business (Financial Planning), RMIT University
- Bachelor of Commerce (Business Law), Curtin University
- Bachelor of Commerce (Sport Management), Curtin University
- Bachelor of Business, Griffith University
- Bachelor of Accounting, University of South Australia
This unit is an approved elective in the following courses:
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.