Not sure where to start?
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
Level of study: What does Undergraduate Level 2 mean?
Undergraduate Level 2
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Availability: What is a Study period?For enrolment (2012): For forward planning* (2013): What is Forward Planning?
- Domestic student fee:
- $1,178.00 (AUD)
- HECS student fee:
- $1,178.00 (AUD)
- International student fee:
- $1,403.00 (AUD)
This unit focuses upon the goals and functions of corporate financial management. It is designed to enable students to acquire an understanding of the scope and nature of the finance function and its role within corporate management; along with an understanding of the theory of finance and how it underpins the evaluation of investment, financing and dividend policies; practical skills in the identification and analysis of financial problems; and a basic understanding of the major sources of corporate finance.
You are recommended to have completed the following unit(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this unit:
- Assignments — And/or tests (30%-40%)
- Invigilated Exam — (60%-70%)
At the completion of this unit students will be able to:
- discuss corporate goals and explain how conflicting agendas may hinder their achievement
- review and evaluate independent and mutually exclusive investment projects
- calculate and evaluate the value of shares and debentures and determine an organisation's cost of capital
- discuss sources of business finance and the respective advantages and disadvantages of each
- discuss the issues surrounding the determination of a firm's capital structure.
This unit addresses the following topics.
|1||Introduction to financial management|
|2||The time value of money|
|3||Risk and return|
|4||Cost of capital|
|5||Investment evaluation and decision making|
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
- Discussion Forum/Discussion Board
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a unit.
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
This unit is part of a major, minor, stream or specialisation in the following courses:
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.