Get your questions answered
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
Level of study: What does Undergraduate Level 2 mean?
Undergraduate Level 2
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Prerequisites: What are the prerequisites?
Within the business community, public and private organisations, and the professions communication is associated with the more specific activities of interacting, informing, instructing and persuading. People who possess demonstrable skills in these activities are employed, prized and promoted. If businesses are to survive in an increasingly competitive and information-oriented environment they will need trained communicators. This unit provides participants with advanced understanding of professional business communication and develops their skills in interpersonal, spoken and business related communications through practice and feedback. Unit participants will be encouraged to participate actively in the course through their group presentations, reflections and academic writing.
There are no prerequisites for this unit.
Note: Level 2 units normally assume an introductory level of prior knowledge in this area, e.g. from studying related Level 1 units or other relevant experience.
- Assignment 1 (25%)
- Assignment 2 (35%)
- Invigilated Exam (40%)
At the completion of this unit students will be able to:
- use reflective processes and insights in the development of self-awareness, including its influence on communication
- analyse business communication processes
- communicate effectively with others, including enhanced conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- communicate effectively as a member of a team, including prevention, management, and resolution of communication problems in teams
- understand communication patterns in organisations.
This unit addresses the following topics.
|1||Introduction and models of communication|
|2||Goal setting and self management|
|3||Understanding and working with diverse others, importance and skills of listening|
|4||Conveying verbal messages, persuasive communication|
|5||Working in teams for success|
|6||Managing conflict and negotiation|
|8||Power and politicking, leading and empowering self and others|
|9||Networking and mentoring, coaching and providing feedback for improved performance|
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
- Audio/Video conferencing
- Chat rooms
- Discussion Forum/Discussion Board
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Web links
Textbook information for this unit is currently being updated and will be available soon. Please check back regularly for updates. Alternatively, visit the Unibooks website and enter the unit details to search for available textbooks.
This unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
This unit is part of a major, minor, stream or specialisation in the following courses:
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.