Fundamental Design Studio
Not sure where to start?
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
To enrol in this unit, you must be accepted into a course from the provider.
Read before you start
Warning: Mature Content
This unit contains mature content including Adult Themes, Drug use, Nudity, Sex / Sexual References and Violence and may not be suitable for some students. Any student under the age of 16 who would like to enrol in this unit must first complete a Parental Consent Form.
Level of study: What does Postgraduate mean?
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Prerequisites: What are the prerequisites?
Availability: What is a Study period?For enrolment (2012):
Government loans available:
- Domestic student fee:
- $4,600.00 (AUD)
- International student fee:
- $4,825.00 (AUD)
This unit aims to strengthen your fundamental design skills across two-dimensional, three-dimensional and interactive design projects. Combining basic design making and high-level conceptualisation skills, you will complete three four-week projects focused on Indigenous knowledge and 2D design, design and emotion and 3D design, and design history and interaction design.
- Assignment 1 — Project Brief 1 (33%)
- Assignment 2 — Project Brief 2 (33%)
- Assignment 3 — Project Brief 3 (34%)
At the completion of this unit students will be able to:
- apply contemporary uses of the elements and principles of design in two dimensions, three-dimensions and through interactivity
- assess one's skill in the use of the elements and principles of design in two dimensions (2D)
- assess one's skill in the use of the elements and principles of design in three dimensions (3D)
- assess one's skill in the use of elements and principles of design through interactive media
- explore advanced research themes through the making of design communications, objects, environments and/or interactions.
This unit addresses the following topics.
|1||Principles and elements of 2D design|
|2||Indigenous approaches to 2D design|
|4||Designing for connection|
|5||Principles and elements of 3D design|
|6||Neuro-affective 3D design|
|7||Designing for emotion 1|
|8||Designing for emotion 2|
|9||Principles and elements of interactive design|
|10||History as interaction|
|11||Designing interactions with time|
|12||Designing for historical consciousness|
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
- Discussion Forum/Discussion Board
- Embedded Multimedia
- Interactive Games
- Online Quizzes/Tests
- Online assignment submission
- Podcasting/Lecture capture
- Standard Media
- Streaming Multimedia
- Web links
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a unit.
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
This unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.