Research Methods in Applied Linguistics
Get your questions answered
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
Level of study: What does Postgraduate mean?
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Government loans available:
Domestic student fee:
International student fee:
Learn about the various approaches to research in applied linguistics. You will explore different data collection procedures, including interviewing, participant observation and questionnaire surveys. You will also investigate data description, analysis, interpretation, quantitative and qualitative research.
Additional Information: Please note that all Monash Applied Linguistics units are 0.25 EFTSL, whereas most OUA/undergraduate units are 0.125. This refers to workload and means that they contain twice the content and require twice as much assessment as standard university units. It also means that only six units are required to complete a Masters degree. Students should take one Applied Linguistic unit per Session if part-time or two units for a full-time study load.
You cannot enrol in this unit if you have successfully completed any of the following unit(s) because they are considered academically equivalent:
- ALMX415 — Research Methods in Applied Linguistics
- X4504 — Research Methods in Applied Linguistics
At the completion of this unit students will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of quantitative and qualitative approaches to research in applied study of language (with a particular focus on English)
- articulate research questions for the purpose of developing a thesis or project
- plan the elements of a thesis or research project, including literature review, methodology and data analysis
- identify major types of data collection, and issues associated with analysis and interpretation of data
- address ethical concerns in relation to language research.
A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this unit will be provided in your study materials.
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
- Audio/Video - Streaming
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a unit.
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
This unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Linguistics, Monash University
- Graduate Diploma in Applied Linguistics, Monash University
- Master of Applied Linguistics, Monash University
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.