Second Language Acquisition
Get your questions answered
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
Level of study: What does Postgraduate mean?
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Availability: What is a Session?For enrolment (2012):
- Sess 2
- Sess 2
Government loans available:
- Domestic student fee:
- $3,000.00 (AUD)
- International student fee:
- $3,225.00 (AUD)
This unit addresses key concepts, theoretical models, accepted approaches and contested frameworks and theories in the rapidly changing field of second language acquisition. Topics covered include models and theories of second language acquisition, first and second language acquisition, error analysis and interlanguage, interlanguage pragmatics, input and interaction, learner strategies, learning styles, cognitive processes, classroom observation, second language identity and learners' rights.
Additional information: Please note that all Monash ALMX units are worth double the number of credit points as standard undergraduate units. This means they require double the work of most other OUA units and that only six units are required to complete a Master's degree. Students should take one ALMX unit per Session if part-time or two units for a full-time study load.
You are recommended to have completed the following unit(s) or have equivalent knowledge before starting this unit:
- ALMX411 — General Linguistics
- ALMX413 — Language in Society
At the completion of this unit students will be able to:
- summarise key theoretical debates in relation to second language acquisition, and evaluate relevant empirical evidence
- compare the work of competing theorists, and recognise their role in the development of SLA theory
- reflect on their own language learning experience and classroom practice in the light of theoretical and empirical studies
- evaluate major methodological approaches to the study of second language acquisition
- apply at least one methodology to a selected context.
A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this unit will be provided in your study materials.
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
Print based materials
- Welcome Letter
- Audio/Video - Streaming
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a unit.
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
This unit is an approved elective in the following courses:
- Graduate Diploma in Applied Linguistics, Monash University
- Master of Applied Linguistics, Monash University
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.