Language in Society 2012
Get your questions answered
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
Level of study: What does Postgraduate mean?
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Prerequisites: What are the prerequisites?
Government loans available:
Domestic student fee:
International student fee:
Explore the role of language in society by examining language variation and change, multilingualism and how individuals adjust their speech to the situation they find themselves in. You will explore regional and social variation in languages as well as topics such as language and gender, language and power and language policy and conducting your own small research project.
Additional Information: Please note that all Monash ALMX units are worth double the number of credit points as standard undergraduate units. This means they require double the work of most OUA units and that only six units are required to complete a Master's degree. Students should take one ALMX unit per Session if part-time or two units for a full-time study load.
At the completion of this unit students will be able to:
- identify key theories of language variation and language change
- describe and account for language variation within a number of different communities
- gather and analyse sociolinguistic data in their own small research project.
A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this unit will be provided in your study materials.
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
Print based materials
- Welcome Letter
- Audio/Video - Streaming
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a unit.
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
This unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Linguistics, Monash University
- Graduate Diploma in Applied Linguistics, Monash University
- Master of Applied Linguistics, Monash University
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.