Get your questions answered
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
Level of study: What does Postgraduate mean?
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Prerequisites: What are the prerequisites?
Availability: What is a Session?For enrolment (2012):
- Sess 1
- Sess 1
Government loans available:
- Domestic student fee:
- $3,000.00 (AUD)
- International student fee:
- $3,225.00 (AUD)
Gain an overview of the 'core' areas of linguistics, including phonetics, phonology, grammar, semantics/ pragmatics and historical linguistics. In essence, this unit provides you with a foundation for later work in applied areas of the discipline. It approaches language as a medium of communication and focuses on the structures and functions that it manifests and on the analysis of linguistic data
Additional Information: Please note that all Monash ALMX units are worth double the number of credit points as standard undergraduate units. This means they require double the work of most OUA units and that only six units are required to complete a Master's degree. Students should take one ALMX unit per Session if part-time or two units for a full-time study load.
At the completion of this unit students will:
- have knowledge of the fundamental concepts and tools of analysis used in linguistics and applied linguistics
- be equipped with basic skills in linguistic analysis
- have been introduced to a number of research areas in linguistics
- have developed a critical perspective on language issues and problems relevant to society (language policy and planning, language in education, language learning, etc.).
A week-by-week guide to the topics you will explore in this unit will be provided in your study materials.
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
Print based materials
- Welcome Letter
- Audio/Video - Streaming
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
Textbook information for this unit is currently being updated and will be available soon. Please check back regularly for updates. Alternatively, visit the Unibooks website and enter the unit details to search for available textbooks.
This unit is a core requirement in the following courses:
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Linguistics, Monash University
- Graduate Diploma in Applied Linguistics, Monash University
- Master of Applied Linguistics, Monash University
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.