Introduction to Asia
Not sure where to start?
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
Level of study: What does Undergraduate Level 1 mean?
Undergraduate Level 1
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Availability: What is a Study period?For enrolment (2012): For forward planning* (2013): What is Forward Planning?
- Domestic student fee:
- $795.00 (AUD)
- HECS student fee:
- $706.00 (AUD)
- International student fee:
- $1,020.00 (AUD)
Embark on an interesting introduction to Asia's people, places, values, history, economic development, controversial leaders and thinkers. You are encouraged to take an interest in contemporary Asian affairs, links between Asia's past and present and think about Asia's future. This unit makes an excellent addition to any degree, be it in Business, Arts or Information Technology.
- Essay (30%)
- Invigilated Exam (40%)
- Report (30%)
This unit provides an accessible, interesting and visual introduction to Asia's people, places and values, Asia's history and economic development, and Asia's controversial leaders and thinkers. It encourages you to take an interest in contemporary Asian affairs, links Asia's past and present, and provides a basis for thinking about Asia's future. This unit makes an excellent addition to any degree, be it in Business, Arts or Information Technology.
This unit addresses the following topics.
|1||The idea of Asia|
|2||East Asia in World History|
|3||Colonialism in Asia|
|4||Nationalism & revolution in Asia|
|5||International politics in Asia|
|6||The newly industrial economies of Asia|
|7||Rising China and the region|
|8||Democracy and human rights in Asia|
|9||Globalisation and Asia|
|10||Australia and Asia|
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
Print based materials
- Welcome Letter
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
Textbooks are subject to change within the academic year. Students are advised to purchase their books no earlier than one to two months before the start of a unit.
Click on the titles of the listed books below to find out more:
This unit is part of a major, minor, stream or specialisation in the following courses:
- Certificate of Arts, Griffith University
- Bachelor of Arts, Griffith University
- Diploma of Arts, Griffith University
This unit is an approved elective in the following courses:
This unit may be eligible for credit towards other courses:
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.