Yolngu Languages and Culture 1
Not sure where to start?
- Is online study right for me?
- Why OUA?
- What should I study?
- How does it work?
- How do I enrol?
Discover what's involved in studying through OUA.Find out more
Level of study: What does Undergraduate Level 1 mean?
Undergraduate Level 1
EFTSL: What does EFTSL mean?
Delivery Method: What does delivery method mean?
Prerequisites: What are the prerequisites?
Availability: What is a Study period?For enrolment (2012): For forward planning* (2013): What is Forward Planning?
Government loans available:
- Domestic student fee:
- $795.00 (AUD)
- International student fee:
- $1,020.00 (AUD)
This unit is taught by Yolngu under the ongoing supervision of Yolngu elders and educators and will be offered subject to their approval. You will explore: Introduction to the Yolngu people of Arnhem Land - their land, histories and languages; Introduction to the sounds, spelling and pronunciation of Yolngu languages; Introduction to Yolngu kinship; Introduction to the grammar of Yolngu languages with special emphasis on Dhuwala languages; and Introduction to key concepts of Yolngu life.
- Assignment (20%)
- Assignment 1 (20%)
- Assignment 2 (20%)
- Assignment 3 (20%)
- Assignment 4 (20%)
At the completion of this unit students will be able to:
- describe aspects of Yolngu people life, their languages and history
- develop a beginning understanding of key concepts of Yolngu life
- develop a basic understanding of the Yolngu and gurrutu (kinship) systems
- develop a basic knowledge of the sounds, spelling and pronunciation of the Yolngu languages
- develop a basic understanding of grammar.
This unit addresses the following topics.
|1||Key concepts from Yolngu life|
|3||Pronunciation of Yolngu languages|
|4||Spelling Yolngu languages|
|5||Yolngu towns and homelands|
|6||Other topics include: Yolngu ancestors, crafts, foods, housing, Macassans, missionaries,|
|7||Every week students will be expected to learn new vocabulary|
This unit is delivered using the following methods and materials:
- Audio/Video - Streaming
- Online Assessment
- Printable format materials
- Resources and Links
Textbook information for this unit is currently being updated and will be available soon. Please check back regularly for updates. Alternatively, visit the Unibooks website and enter the unit details to search for available textbooks.
This unit is not currently a requirement for any courses, but may be eligible for credit.
- Many undergraduate courses on offer through OUA include 'open elective' where any OUA unit can be credited to the course. You need to check the Award Requirements on the course page for the number of allowed open electives and any level limitations.
- In other cases, the content of this unit might be relevant to a course on offer through OUA or elsewhere. In order to receive credit for this unit in the course you will need to supply the provider institution with a copy of the Unit Profile in the approved format, which you can download here. Note that the Unit Profile is set at the start of the year, and if textbooks change this may not match the Unibooks textbook list.
Have a question? Give us a call.